Collage

Collage
From Here To There

Portfolio & Bio

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Taking Flight

I started to keep travel journals when I enrolled for a summer course titled Greek Art and History at The School of Visual Arts. It took us throughout the Peloponnesus to witness the land and culture first hand. The single most important requirement was a journal to keep notes from the many lectures as well as record impressions and experiences we encountered. I hadn't understood the true value of keeping such a journal or the breadth of information it could hold until I returned home. Each page revealed a slice of my journey in full detail. It brought back to me the richness of texture, taste, and smell. It filled in the gaps that my photographs created. With each trip I made that took me anywhere beyond my usual surroundings, either to a neighboring city or to a foreign country, I brought a journal. And it progressed to contain Polaroid’s, quick sketches in the margins, drawings, paintings, scraps of ticket stubs, restaurant receipts, anything that revealed the sense of place.




 


Creative Journal Arts

No comments:

Post a Comment