Collage

Collage
From Here To There

Portfolio & Bio

Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Inner Critic Loses

When I first started art school I had a very difficult time keeping a sketchbook. The critic inside of me wanted every page to be perfect and I'd get frustrated when a sketch came out, well not as I would have wanted it to. Then in a  desperate attempt to fill the pages, I began searching through discarded drawings, paintings, color studies, notes on lessons and lectures, postcards from museum and gallery visits, all the remnants piled in an old archival storage box I kept. I composed the pages grouping like topics together and when the page was complete I'd add addition notations. It was the birth of my journals...

Now, so many years later, volume after volume fills my studio bookshelf. Each one a reminder of progress, learning, and achievement. Long after my hands are too feeble to hold a paintbrush, I will still maintain a visual journal. It’s as necessary ad breathing.

-Laura






Creative Journal Arts

No comments:

Post a Comment